Les Mills BODYSTEP®
Les Mills BODYSTEP® is the energising and motivating step workout that makes you feel liberated and alive.
Using a height-adjustable step and simple movements on, over and around the step you get huge motivation from sing-a-long music and approachable instructors.
Cardio blocks push fat burning systems into high gear followed by muscle conditioning tracks that shape and tone your body. Like all the Les Mills programmes, a new BODYSTEP® class is released every three months with new music and choreography.
Minutes for a class
Calories Burned on average
What are the benefits?
- Burn lots of calories for a leaner body
- Improve your strength through core conditioning work
- Raise your overall fitness levels
- Improve your coordination
- Improve your bone health and density
- Increase your heart and lung capacity through a full-body cardio workout
Do I need to bring anything?
- Comfortable workout clothes
- Gym shoes. We recommend cross-trainers over running shoes, because they’ll give you better foot support for the types of movement you’ll be doing in class
- Drink bottle
- Towel. You’re going to get sweaty!
What is a typical class?
Each of the music tracks in a BODYSTEP™ class has a specific exercise focus. Together they create an energizing, full body workout. Remember that BODYSTEP™ caters to all fitness levels and you can increase or decrease the intensity of the workout by raising or lowering the height of your step.
- A typical BODYSTEP™ class will first take you through a warm-up, and then it’s onto the basic movements, where you’ll learn how to step correctly. We’ll gradually lift the intensity and range of movement.
- You will then start to break a sweat as you lift the energy and your heart rate up to the first two fitness peaks, each followed by recovery time that focuses on strength and toning. Next is the party track, followed by the speed track. The third and final cardio peak gives you the option to really push it. This one is a physically challenging combination of moves so remember to give it all you’ve got.
- Phew! You’ll then be able to catch your breath and move to the floor for conditioning work on the upper body and abdominals. Then you’ll stretch it out as you cool down after an intense workout.
How often should I take a class?
Classes are best done with a rest day between them, to give your body time to recover. On your ‘off’ days consider a low-impact class like Les Mills BODYBALANCE®. For best results, aim to take three Les Mills BODYSTEP® classes per week.
What if I can't keep up?
Remember that Les Mills BODYSTEP® caters to all fitness levels. It usually takes a few classes before you start to feel comfortable on the step, but don’t give up! With each class you attend you’ll feel more at ease. Start on a low step height and focus on your feet before trying the arm movements. If you get lost in a move, continue stepping with a move that you feel comfortable with until you can pick up the move again.
How co-ordinated do I need to be?
It usually takes a few BODYSTEP™ classes before you start to feel comfortable on the step, but don’t give up! With each class you attend you’ll feel more at ease and eventually totally alive with BODYSTEP™. Start on a low step height and focus on your feet before trying the arm movements. If you get lost in a move, continue stepping with a move that you feel comfortable with until you feel up to the challenge. Our Learn the Moves section will also give you a good place to start from.